As some of you may know, I’ve spent the last 8 months studying for and taking my CPA exams. It’s a draining process but I know I’ll breathe a huge sigh of relief when I finally finish them all. Yesterday morning I took the third of the four total exams – these things are crazy and always leave me feeling like my brain was sucked out of my head by the time I walk out of the testing center.
In order to not get sucked into the downward spiral of pre-test anxiety, I’ve started practicing some coping strategies:
- No “cramming” right before bed or the morning of – this will just heighten the anxiety. I figure that if I don’t know it by this point, I’m not going to learn it in a cram-sesh.
- I always make sure I eat a “safe” dinner the night before – nothing crazy spicy or foods that can cause stomach aches. The last thing we need is to be up all night.
- Waking up a bit early allows time for some easy stretching to get the body fully awake before you head out the door.
- My CPA exams are 4+ hours, so eating a big breakfast is a must. Just like with a race, I like to stick with something I’m familiar with just in case a new breakfast doesn’t settle well.
- As I’m driving to the testing center, I pop in some pseudo-calm music: think Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse, Adele etc..
- Finally, say a quick prayer, head in, and hope for the best- knowing you’ve prepared to the best of your abilities!
After work, Derek and I capped off the week with a short 5K around the neighborhood before dinner. For some reason, this run was
killer not my greatest. The mixture of heat and pollen levels (where my asthmatics at?!) had me feelin’ really slow. But a slow run is better than no run at all, right??
I was lucky enough to be at Derek’s parents’ house last evening just in time for burgers by the pool. Along with regular hamburgers, Davis cooked up some spinach burgers for us.. The picture really doesn’t do these things justice – they were scrumptious. I’m not positive what she did to these things to make them so delicious, but I know it had something to do with cheese, breadcrumbs, and onions. I’ll get back to you on that!
Happy Saturday, everyone! Get out there and do something fun today!