Reno (vation… Not Nevada)

Hi party people! I mentioned in another post how I recently re-did a piece of furniture, and I wanted to share with you all how I did it, because it was easy as pie!

In decorating our new house, I’ve realized that I can’t go to Z Gallerie, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel etc. and just buy every piece of furniture that my little heart desires. This realization has been great for me, because it’s taught me to be more resourceful in using pieces we already have, or finding pieces at consignment stores or Salvation Army, and making them our own.

This one particular piece falls into the category of random furniture in random closets of my parents house. This dresser has been taken for granted for years, stuffed in the back of a closet. I noticed it a year ago, and have been meaning to give it some love ever since. I think it had great bones, and had potential to be a unique piece!

In renovating this beauty, I used my favorite product on the body of the dresser – Annie Sloan Chalk paint (In Paris Grey). With Annie Sloan paint, no sanding, prepping, priming, sealing is necessary, and each coat of paint dries in under 30 minutes. This turns a furniture renovation project into a 2-4 hour time commitment, rather than a several day-long commitment. Annie Sloan’s website offers several video tutorials which demonstrate just how easy it is to paint on almost any surface. After painting 2 coats of the Paris Grey paint, I took a clean rag and spread Annie Sloan Soft Wax (in clear) over the body of the furniture. This isn’t a necessary step, but I’ve done it on all my Annie Sloan projects, and have been happy with the results so I will continue to do so.

photo

photo-157

For the hardware, I picked up a container of “Baroque Art Gilder’s Paste” (in Inca Gold). This was my first experience with the product, and I was very pleased. After a trip to Lowe’s, I realized that in order to get the pulls I really wanted, I would have to spend $12+ for each pull. As this was supposed to be a cost effective project, $50 on pulls wasn’t going to cut it. The container of gilder’s paste costed $8, and, with a paint brush, I transformed the existing pulls into more snazzy pieces.  I also used the gilder’s paste on the corners of the drawers and body of the dresser, to help the contrasting colors blend together more naturally.

image_1

image_2

If any of you are interested in renovating a piece of furniture, but are hesitant because of the intimidation factor, please just go for it! I PROMISE that I was the least-crafty person on earth 1 year ago, but impressed myself with every project I undertook. If I can do it, anyone can!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s